Thursday, June 12, 2014

Emotional Response

Madstract © 2014 J. Travis Duncan
I have heard artists make the statement that they paint for themselves and for no one else. As an artist, I understand this frame of mind, but how honest are they being? One can say that their art is personal, but if that were the case, it would remain locked away and hidden from any other set of eyes beyond that of the artist. Let's be honest, we want others to see our handiwork. No one has to like it, but we do covet public thought. There is something about art that demands an emotional response. Some artists paint for shock value. Others paint as a means to bring awareness to a social issue. While some, including myself, want to simply express themselves in hopes that something can be stirred up inside others. Life is about living. Art often mimics life. Yet, whether it be an impressionist painting of a city, an abstract painting of a menagerie of color, or a watercolor of a flower, an emotional response, internal, external, or both, is churned up. This is why I truly love every form of art and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment