Monday, June 30, 2014

Local Flavor

Sacred Heart - Augusta © 2014 J. Travis Duncan
There's a theme in my paintings. My wife has seen the theme. She has even asked that I would move from that theme to something else. I have a hard time doing something other than flowers. It is not because I feel that I am incapable of doing a different subject, but that they are so fun to paint. So, I did what any good husband would do. I said, "Yes, dear!"

What subject would adorn the canvas of my newest painting? Before I could ask myself this question, my wife had some ideas. Specifically, she felt that I should paint a local landmark that is recognizable by anyone who lives around our city of Augusta, Georgia. My first thought was The Augusta National Golf Club, specifically a hole from Amen Corner. Yet, her thought was a little different from my own. She wanted me to paint a former church turned cultural center that is in the middle of downtown Augusta.

The building of reference is Sacred Heart Cultural Center. It is a building I know very well, for I saw the double spires of this former Roman Catholic church almost everyday as a child. Architecturally, it's a very beautiful building. I didn't even have to give a second thought on if this would be my next painting. Still wanting to play with a palette knife versus brushes, I looked forward towards the task of trying to capture those two spires and the doorway to the church.



No comments:

Post a Comment