Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Capturing The Moment


"Today's Catch" © 2014 J. Travis Duncan
There are many mediums we can use to capture a moment: video, photography, audio recording, the written word, sculpture, and painting. I thoroughly enjoy each of these distinctive mediums. When Dumas wrote about Edmond's imprisonment and escape from Château d'If, in what I consider one of the best works of literary fiction, "The Count of Monte Cristo", I could not find any other medium that would trump his words. I own the 2002 film adaptation and, though great in it's own way, it can capture the outer dealings that Edmond is dealing with, but much is missing of the struggle as a whole. By the way, I highly recommend the book and the movie. Read the book first!

My newest piece, "Today's Catch", is an homage to my father-in-law's great catch he made a few months back while fishing Lake Thurmond (Clark's Hill Lake). Moments like these are fun to paint. It was not just another still life that's been set up for artistic purposes, but rather one that I happened into like a young boy in an orchard who's come face to face with a ripe fruit dangling within reach. I had to reach out and pluck it. I apologize that I could only share a visual presentation of the day's bounty. If there were some way, I would have also stimulated the olfactory sense as well, but I digress.

No comments:

Post a Comment