Monday, July 7, 2014

Abalone Cove Shoreline

"Abalone Cove Shoreline" © 2014 J. Travis Duncan
My desire to paint daily is still there, but time isn't always available. However, this has not caused me to put the brakes on my attempt, but rather paint when I can and try to piecemeal a painting in little moments.

Today's entry into the 30 paintings series is "Abalone Cove Shoreline". It is another palette knife painting (except for the tiny lighthouse on the hill). The photograph of reference was provided once again by my friend, Ryon Collins. If, or should I say "when", he gets an online gallery of his photography, I will be sure to share it with everyone.

Ryon's photograph of the shoreline of Abalone Cove was perfect for one of my small canvas daily paintings. The shot was taken from a really great place. In the foreground was high grasses, which helped in creating distance. Dare I forget the lighthouse that sits afar on the hilltop. These two elements made it easier to give the illusion that the crashing waves were as low and distant as they are in the painting. When painting from a photograph, you tend to study the subject a little more. With each glance at the photo, I wanted to see Abalone Cove for myself. Maybe one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment