Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Unstable, Yet Contained

"Sunflowers" by Vincent van Gogh
Most recently, I've been trying to give some background information on my artwork. I know I've seen a lot of artists "let the art speak for itself", but I don't want to be just a face that uses various tools to create artwork that needs to be deciphered. However, I do think that there is something intrinsic to letting a work speak differently to each person. Looking inside, I know that I am more inclined to have a stronger reaction to different subject matter than flowers, a still life, or landscape. However, there is an exception when such subjects are painted or illustrated in a style outside of realism. It's just what I tend to favor, with some exceptions.

"Sunflower" by Georgia O'Keeffe
Before anyone starts thinking that I hate realism, know that I'm not saying that it leaves me numb, but rather the emotional response I have is short-lived, limited, and not very concentrated. A good example of this is when I look at two paintings by two well-known artists; "Sunflowers" by van Gogh and "Sunflower" by Georgia O'Keeffe.

Neither painting is leaning heavy towards realism, but are somewhat close to it. Both use the same subject, yet the differing styles and colors spark a tiny flicker inside of me. To me, they are wonderful paintings that deserve recognition, but it would be easy to turn to the next page if they were in an art magazine. I could be an anomaly, but I doubt it. On the other hand, there are others that could wax all day about each piece.

"Sunflowers" by Ginette Callaway
I've written about styles before. I am constantly looking at the art of others. It is not because I want to see what I am competing against, but I love to see how each has their own style(s). Though there are art competitions, I don't believe that's a fair word for a show that is judged subjectively. However, can one truly judge artwork objectively? It is not a race, which has a defined winner based on where they completed the event. If I were to choose one of the three sunflower paintings, I would not deliberate for even a brief moment. Ginette Callaway would take the prize based on the style she used to paint the subject.

The abstract way in which Callaway paints sunflowers is electrifying. I can just picture the physical motion in which she applied the watercolors and ink to produce this painting, whereas with van Gogh and O'Keeffe's works, I imagine they were sitting down in a quiet room with steady hands and calm spirits. Also, the colors that are used affects me as well. O'Keeffe and van Gogh use different color palettes. O'Keeffe paints an early morning or late afternoon sunflower growing in the sun, separate from any other flower or growth. Van Gogh's sunflowers have been clipped and sits in a vase to be enjoyed inside with less intense light.  Both are very static. Yet, Callaway does things a bit differently. She opts to use a more varied color palette and does not show any fear in using any of them. In her painting, the sunflowers are growing outside in the wild and the sun has illuminated the sky and clouds in red and yellow tones. The whole painting seems full of motion and unstable, but contained like a wild horse that has been corralled.

Think of a subject. Find a few pieces of that subject that vary. I would enjoy seeing how different each of us view art, express art, and are stirred up by art.



No comments:

Post a Comment